18 May, 2012

Cape fabric effects

While occupied with paperwork I recieved a communiqué from the Spiky Rat Pack asking questions regarding my recent endavour with Inquisitor Velk. The Pack wanted knowledge about my dealings with the cape. Here is my return message in brief:


The cape was painted using airbrush over the zenith primed mini. The airbrushing work was done before any other areas were painted.

About 4 successive layers of grey going from dark grey towards light grey/Bleached Bone. The final two layers or so layers were sprayed on at an angle straight from above to get the zenith effect.

Over this I worked in some shades (using various browns, greens, reds) now and then as I was working on the other areas.

When most of the model was done I sponged on some almost pure black with a bit of blister foam. And over this I sponged a light colour - Bleached bone. I also did few "scratch"-highlights on some of the black spots using bleached bone. "Scratch"-highlights meaning that the black sponge marks were highlighted illusionistic by adding a highlight to the grey cape just under the black spot. This makes the black spots looks like tine holes in the fabric.

Finally, I worked in some more washes in certain areas - mainly to emphasize the folds and areas that are in the shadows.

*   *   *

I hope you can use the information provided above. I plan to bring this technique to good use on some Astartes within the year...




5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the close-ups, they really are helpful. Btw, have you thought about ruffing up the surface a bit in this technique, I mean, breaking the smooth surface with file and sandpaper? Inks and washes would probably like that a lot, don't you think? It would also give nicely texturized feeling for the fabrik...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you wear magnifying glasses or use a mounted one when you are painting like this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breaking the surface? Not a bad idea at all. However, I suppose that it is another way of adding a random pattern. What I do like about using a sponge like this on a flat surface is the way it almost mimics impressionistic gestures by breaking up the surface.

    No magnifying glasses used at all. Just random luck applied. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great technical!
    The texture is wonderful. Very realistic. Thanks for the "how to paint"!

    morbäck

    ReplyDelete